Purifying water with bleachStandard household bleach is typically between 5 percent and 6 percent chlorine and can be used to purify water.
- Place the water (filtered, if necessary) in a clean container. You can use coffee filters, or towels/shirts to filter the water prior to treating it with bleach.
- Add the amount of bleach according to the table below.
- Mix thoroughly and allow the water to stand for at least 30 minutes before using (60 minutes if the water is cloudy or very cold).
|Treating Water with a 5-6 Percent Liquid Chlorine Bleach Solution|
|Volume of Water||Bleach Solution to Add (Clear water)||Bleach Solution to Add (Cloudy, Very Cold)|
|1 quart/1 liter||3 drops||5 drops|
|1/2 gallon/2 quarts/2 liters||5 drops||10 drops|
|1 gallon||1/8 teaspoon||1/4 teaspoon|
|5 gallons||1/2 teaspoon||1 teaspoon|
|10 gallons||1 teaspoon||2 teaspoons|
- DIY Home Water Filter
- Disinfect Water with Calcium Hypochlorite
- Purifying water with bleach
- Restricted Water and the Secret Weapon to Access It
- Water Filter Systems for Preppers
- Bug-Out Bag with 1000 Liters of Water