Sooner or later we’re all going to find ourselves in a situation where a few coincidental happenings could turn a bad day into a survival situation. With this in mind I opted to put together a Pocket Survival Kit to increase my chances in any of these scenarios.
Pocket Survival Kit
We all carry keys. They are one item that is usually on our person at all times when we are out and about. My mission was to find a few small unobtrusive survival items that I could keep on my keyring without noticeable bulk or inconvenience.
Here are some solid yet compact items that will provide you with some brainstorming material to allow you to come up with an Pocket survival kit that works for you!
Key ring flashlights (those nifty, small, squeeze-style LED flashlights)
LED Flashlights have come a long way and now are capable of producing quite a bright light with very low energy draw. These flashlights can last for years if only used occasionally. If used continually some of them can run beyond 40 hours.
- LRI PWK Photon II LED Keychain Micro-Light, White Beam) with an additional locking switch, for hands free or continual use.
- INOVA Microlight STS Flashlight – “Swipe-To-Shine”; 4 Functions – High Power (16 Lumen), Variable Dim, Low Power (2 Lumen) & Strobe
Pocket sized flashlights:
Both of these lights are super bright for their compact size and as long as you ensure you have a good battery in them, they will blast a path of light for you!
Small & Key ring sized multi tools:
- Utili-key XT 8-In-1. This tiny, key-sized tool provideds a Flat Screwdriver, Phillips Screwdriver, Micro-Sized Screwdriver, Nail File, Nail Cleaner, Wire Cutter, Wire Stripper and Bottle Opener.
- Gerber Shard – small and medium flat driver; Philips head driver, wire stripper, pry bar, bottle opener, lanyard hole
- Swiss+Tech Micro Slim 9-in-1 Key Ring Tool Kit – wrench, 3 screwdrivers, 2 knife blades, flat wrench, bottle opener and nail fil
- Leatherman Squirt – 420 HC clip-point knife blade, Needlenose pliers, regular pliers, wire cutters, Spring-action scissors, wood/metal file, bottle opener, Flat/Phillips medium regular screwdriver (length 2.25 inches)
- Leatherman Juice – pliers, wire cutters, 4 screwdrivers, can and bottle opener, lanyard attachment, and spring-action scissors (length 3.2 inches)
- Leatherman Style CS – 420HC clip-point knife blade, carabiner/bottle opener, spring-action scissors, nail file, tweezers, flat/Phillips screwdriver
- Leatherman Style PS – TSA-Compliant Design, Spring-action Regular Pliers, Spring-action Needlenose Pliers, Spring-action Wire Cutters, scissors, Flat/Phillips Screwdriver, Nail File, Tweezers, Carabineer/Bottle Opener (This is the one you want for Air Travel, no Knife!)
- Fresnel Lens This will fit in your wallet, it’s thinner than a credit card. I keep them in my car, my bug out bag, and my get home bag. I found a 10 pack at Amazon for around $8 USD.
- Cigarette Lighter – I use Bic, I think they feel sturdier and don’t tend to leak like the cheapos. Use whatever you have or whatever you prefer.
- Firesteel – The Exotac nanoSTRIKER is designed to be keyring sized, but there are many mini-firesteel products out there.
- Blastmatch -The Blastmatch is compact and should fit nicely on your keychain or in a pocket.
Equipping your person and with these components, of an Pocket Survival Kit, will not only prepare you for survival, but will also prepare you for many of the day to day challenges that we all encounter. You’ll find yourself grabbing for your multi-tool at every turn.
Make sure to Check these posts out for more ideas: