Mr Beams LED LanternIn the spirit of full disclosure, I was provided one of these lanterns from Mr. Beams, in order to do a review of it. You know I can't be bought, so these are my true findings from using this lantern since July, 2014. My first thought, when I opened the Mr Beams Lantern was "oh, its a another lantern". I was bored already, but that was soon to change. I decided to look up the technical specs and see what this lantern could do.
- 4-watt LED array with 260 lumens of light output – Two light modes; Bright and Night.
- Bulb strength (bright mode): 260 lumens
- Bulb strength (night light mode): 20 lumens
- One lantern lights up to 900 square feet.
- Powered by 4 D-cell batteries (alkaline or NiMH rechargeable batteries)
- 30 hrs of light on one set of batteries.
- USB battery backup charging port allows you to charge a smartphone or mobile device.
- USB = 500 mA @ 5-volt nominal
- Auto shut-off feature turns this LED lantern off automatically after 60 minutes.
- Fold out hanging hook on underside/bottom
- Globe/Cover is removable, to act as a super-bright flashlight (or an overhead light)
- Weatherproof: IP44 rated
- Dimensions: 3.5 x 3.5 x 8.0 inches
- Weight: 14 ounces
ConstructionWhen I pulled it out of the box, I was actually surprised at how heavy it was. It did appear to be constructed very solidly though, so that's a fair enough trade off. I'll give it some points for quality construction. As time went on and I got into using this lantern I found enhancements, like the O-ring sealing the lantern globe, that really highlighted Mr Beams attention to detail. Well played, Mr Beams.
DeploymentThis lantern makes it easy to use. You can sit it on a surface, hang it from the handle or hang it from the hook on the bottom. Hanging it from the bottom hook is advantageous, because you can remove the lantern's globe and have it operate as an overhead light. This is perfect for those times, when you are sitting in camp, trying to fix your backpack or sharpen the nicks out of your knife.
ConclusionI have really grown to value the Mr Beam LED lantern. It is a rugged workhorse, and has never let me down. It has actually proven it's worth numerous by charging my cellphone after a those long rainy days in camp, when there is no sun to run my solar charger. On one trip I had used it to fully charge my phone twice, and it was still providing strong light. This LED lantern really is weatherproof, as the sheets of rain assaulting my camp has proven this over and over, all summer and fall.
It's flexible deployment options have worked out surprisingly well, and the ability to remove the globe/cover lets me hang the light over head and have maximum illumination. Imagine using one of these during your next power outage. Hang it above your table and your kids can color, do homework, read or play board games (or bored games, hahahaha) . This feature alone should have it flying off the shelves into the arms of weary parents everywhere. For hiking purposes I wish it was lighter, but I like the Mr Beams LED Lantern enough that I've ordered a few more for home and RV use, and for car camping.