EDC Survival Kit
I am tired of spending money. I know we need duplicates and backups of our key items, but putting that aside, I wanted to put together a core kit, that I could take from my commuter backpack, slide it into my Get Home Bag or my Airline Travel Get Home Kit and together I’ll have all the tools I need, for the purpose at hand.
I decided to build this core set off a small bag, with a ton of options, the Maxpedition EDC Pocket Organizer. I tried the Condor Pocket Pouch, which is a great bag, but didn’t offer as many tool holders or pockets for my kit. It may work fine for you.
The Tools and Gear
- EMT Shears
- Hand Sanitizer (bought this so I could refill the spray bottle with Insect Repellent)
- Pocket Screwdriver with extra bits
- Fenix E01 Flashlight – 13 Lumen, 21 hour run time using just one 1.5V AAA battery (battery included)
- Ball point pen
- Magnifying glass (came with #9, the Tick Remover)
- Signal Mirror (Dog Tag style)
- Pro-Tick Remedy (Tick Remover)
- Doc Allen’s VersaTool
- Duct Tape and Fishing line wrapped around a cut down gift card.
- Flat 6″ Ruler
- Doc Allen’s VersaTool‘s bits
- PocketWrench II
- Marine Whistle
- PROKNOT Outdoor Knot Cards
- Field and Shield Insect Repellent & Sunscreen Towel
- Mini Firesteel
- Bic Lighter Mini
- Compact Compass
- Water Purification Tablets
- First Aid Supplies (bandages, pain relievers, cough drop, etc)
- Gallon Zip Lock bag (Carry/purify Water, or other uses)
You probably noticed that there isn’t a knife in this kit. I already EDC a Swiss Army Knife Trekker and a Becker BK11 Neck Knife to compensate, if you don’t EDC a knife, you should adjust your EDC kit accordingly.
I could probably squeeze in a Multitool and a SAS Survival Guide Pocket edition, but I just leave both of those in my computer backpack, that I use for work, and carry on when I fly.
If I need to use my Get Home bag, I slide this pouch or tools out of my Computer backpack and into my Get Home Bag, adding it’s tool set to my repertoire of gear.
With this modular setup, I can use these core tools I have an EDC survival kit, that will help me get home or survive, even if I can’t get to my car to grab my Get Home Bag or any other gear.