Building a Fire Using a Tinder BundleWhen starting a fire, there are 3 things parts to the formula.
- Ignition source (lighter, ferro rod, bow drill or matches) - If you opt for a ferro rod make sure to get a large thick ferro rod, that will last you a long time, won't break as easily and is harder to lose!
- Fuel (tinder bundle)
- Oxygen- Oxygen be provided by the air around you, if that is not enough you can blow gently into the hot ember or fire. You may also swing it around gently. When crafting a fire, balance is key. Too much air can blow the fire out, or make it flare out of control. Too little oxygen and your fire suffocates and goes out.
- Make sure you have a decent amount of material (dry twigs, sticks and branches) to sustain your tinder into a good flame.
- Make sure you have gathered enough firewood for the purpose of the fire (cooking, campfire, etc), you do NOT want to abandon your fire to go get more wood.
- Get enough practice in a safe, controlled scenario, so you’re prepared when you have to do it for real.
- Make sure to put out any fire you've start, when you no longer need it.