Pet PreppingThere are pros and cons to either decision. This is going to be a very tough decision to make, so you want to make it well in advance, when your emotions are not already running high.
- Animals have an uncanny ability to sense disturbances before a human can. This is a very valuable survival tool.
- Body Heat - Animals are awesome insulators and can help keep you warm if it is cold out. Cuddle up, doggie.
- Companion - If you are alone during a crisis situation, having somebody to talk to, even your pet, is very comforting. Knowing that your pet is relying on you may give you the extra bit of strength you need to survive and make it through.
- Natural Hunters - Animals, especially dogs, can be beneficial to hunting. This should be a consideration if you are thinking about keeping him with you. Train your pet how to hunt now.
- Security alarm - animals have those amazing senses and will alert you to trouble and potentially scare off any unwanted guests.
- Sharing Rations - You and he will be sharing food and water. These things may be tough to come by, maybe barely enough for you alone to survive. Will you share with your pet?
- If your pet is not trained to stay with you, he could become a major liability. You cannot afford to waste time and energy tracking down a wayward pet. If you are keeping the pet, this is another training opportunity.
- Noise Discipline - There will be times you want to use stealth, is your pet trained to remain silent if you need him/her to?
Pet Prepping SuppliesIf you are bring them along for the ride don't forget the pet supplies:
- Backpack for Dogs or other large pets (Pigs?) - This way you he can carry his supplies and you can carry yours.
- Collapsible pet dishes
- Pet safe Insect Repellent
- Heartworm Prevention (because there will be mosquito bites)
- Flea and Tick prevention for Dogs or Cats
- Pet First Aid Kit - Everyone needs their own, including your pet
- Tie out line and stake (don't want them wandering off)
- Pet rain coat - you may spend days trudging through the rain.
- Pet food
- Pet food containers (plastic or other convenient containers)
- Familiar pet toys - change of location and stimuli can be stressful on animals, bring something familiar and associated with fun and/or relaxation.